Monday, October 27, 2008

Ikatupa?...Ikatu.

I am now a quarter-century old, and things are looking up. On Saturday, after language class, my friends and I played a game of ultimate frisbee in the field by my house. We were then challenged by a group of Paraguayan youth, who proceeded to lay down the law in a soccer game. That night, we played cards, drank some caña, and had a jam session under the stars. The next morning, I led a yoga class, made some soy coffee, and then ate chorizo and mandi`o (yucca) with my family. After siesta, the big fútbol torneo started. I think Sundays are my favorite days because the whole community gets together for this event, and everyone´s happy, except the poor, squealing pig. I happened to get in the path of the pig´s exit when the winning team herded it home, and that could have been an ugly situation.

Sometimes I catch myself being extremely comfortable and complacent with the culture. Chickens are pecking around my feet, I don´t think twice about wiping my mouth on the tablecloth (that´s what it´s for), or sharing a toilet with hundreds of cockroaches. Other times, I get so frustrated by the foreigness of everything, how everyone in the community needs to know exactly what I´m doing, with whom, and for how long. What is simple smalltalk for them can be extremely prying and plain annoying for me. I get tired of having pasta with bread and some potato on the side. My days are long and exhausting, and sometimes I don´t want to roll out of bed and speak Guarani. Sometimes, I´ll say things in English to my family, just so I can get them out of my system, even if they won´t understand.

But I am progressing with the language, appreciating the cultural differences (and similarities), and I´m really inspired by what I´m learning about farming. We´ve been having some crazy heat lightning storms. It´s the most spectacular sky show I´ve ever seen. I had no qualms about walking around in it until I was told that it´s common (more common than I thought) for people to get electrocuted. Just the other week, I guess a cow was hit in a nearby field. It´s now my favorite time of day, the sun is about to set, it´s cooled off, but the mosquitos haven´t come out yet. Perfecto.

1 comment:

m said...

Emilitia---

Dodging Lightening Bolts, Sharing Toilet with Cock-a-Roach and Out-running Pig???? --
OyyyVeeshmere Emooo!!!!

The Pig is a remarkable Beast- It's the Cloven Hoof that provides it with it's quickness and agility. Emily, it's important to remember the "Cloven Hoof" when faced with outsmarting, outrunning, & ultimately outwitting one of those Oinker's.

Luckily, I haven't had to Dodge any Lightening strikes or Oinkers. However, I did find myself running for cover from falling limbs and tree-tops here in Woodstock this past week. But, hey, now there's plenty of wood to stoak the stove this winter and it all fell from the sky.. I'm thinking this was Mother Natures Gift/Way of offsetting rising heating costs/ Maybe it's a balancing out of all the oil that's been sucked from the earth- It reinforces my belief---"That oil stuff might have some other purpose down the road, Maybe we SHOULDN'T USE IT ALL UP NOW??....." Let's heat our homes with Wood, Sun, Water, Trust, Love, Kindness, etc...!!!

My commuter/business partner and I are compiling a Top Ten List of Motorist Nuances in the NYC Metro area during the commute- I'll share them with you- You'll Laugh....

Happy Birthday/ Halloween
Much Peace & Love
Marshall