Friday, December 10, 2010

A New Era

Lounging poolside with a view of the Sierra Mountains rising up 60 degrees around me and Mendoza's finely-tended grapes are pushing Paraguay further and further away. This is a rare vacation in which my mind is empty of responsibility.

This is truly the beginning of a brand-new era. I finally have the outer tranquility to rewind back to my time in Paraguay and replay the last few months there. I feel like I was an outsider watching myself take part in this life, while I merely commented on the outcomes. Between finishing up my projects in site, passing on my knowledge to fresh-off-the-plane volunteers, and finding as many excuses as possible to celebrate, I found little will to record or share.

That has been a theme in Paraguay. An avid journaler for most of my life, my little moleskin notebook sat on my shelf, collecting red dirt and spiderwebs. I've been too busy living, taking advantage of the time I had left in my community. A few highlights:

-organizing a five-day field practice for volunteers in training.

-thanksgiving with jason's bunny (i.e. mustard-crusted rabbit in white wine sauce, stuffed squash, and peach pie. This really deserves an entire entry).





Next step: Tierra del Fuego. More on that later.

1 comment:

mamakani said...

funny. i was with you and never knew this entry was there. tee hee! it's an interesting fact, that to reflect & write, one is in the past (or future) and not so much the present. however, the enjoyment of the present is so much greater when we have reflected upon that which went before~ there is a time for this and a time for that!!