Wednesday, January 23, 2013

A Re-Introduction

After a lengthy hiatus from sharing my thoughts via words on a tiny strand of this great worldwide web, I return bearing new thoughts (and some old ones, too), with a brand new title and different topics than my previous “Adventures in Peace” blog. I feel inclined to articulate the intent of this shift. I call myself a homesteader, which is ironic because the longest I have ever stayed in one house was the two years I spent in Paraguay. In my defense of the word “homesteader,” I have long been a believer that home is where the heart is, and I have successfully created homes in various parts of the world, and while on the go. Home is in the community I create. Home is, dare I say, a state of mind. Nonetheless, I have steadily been manifesting and working towards the fruition of a stable home and land of my own, a place in which to put my hands into the earth, invest my time and energy, and then actually witness the fruits of my labor for years to come, not just for one farm season. I am happy to say that this vision of land and home is finally becoming reality!
I acknowledge that travel has helped to form the woman I have become, and that it will always be a part of my life. But for the next few years I foresee my time and resources going towards a more settled existence. This feels like a natural progression, especially while in the midst of traveling—schlepping packs and riding dirty, bathroom-less buses on curvy roads. I am evolving! This trip serves as a tribute to my former life, an introduction for Ryan, my love, to the beauty and mayhem of life south of the equator, and a not-so-final hurrah before we put our backpacks in our yet-to-be-built closet, and become a little less nomadic and lot more settled homesteaders.

No comments: