Monday, September 22, 2008

Stereotypes Can Be Fun

While in Queens, my sister and I went out in search of a deli in which to buy our traditional bagels and schmeer for breakfast. This was the first time, however, that we were not accompanied by a member of the Aronowitz family, and we had no idea where to go. We cruised around until we found a shop that looked promising. The display coolers were stocked with all sorts of cured meats, but when I asked if they had lox, I became the laughing stock of the five Italian guys working there. This was an Italian deli, and we were a couple of misplaced "Jew broads." Yep, that's actually what they called us, all in good fun of course...I think. I realized then that we looked the part with our diamond earings and gold necklaces still attached to us from trying on our inheritance. I asked for a cup of coffee, so we could get our bearings and decide what we wanted to do. They were a little more sympathetic when we explained that we were from Oregon, but wondered what we possibly ate in that foreign land. We decided to look for breakfast elsewhere and said farewell to our new Italian friends. It wasn't until we were walking into the local Walbaums that I realized I had not paid for my coffee. I hope they don't send their mafia after me.

Now I'm chillin' in the Coconut Grove, Miami-style. Manana: Paraguay!

1 comment:

mamakani said...

well i've been reading about paraguay and it seems you will have plenty of opportunity to avoid mafioso in the form of smugglers from all over the world. sounds like an adventurer's playground and historical experiment in despotic totalitarianism, or, a great place to dabble in world change! go for it, girl~~
blessed be your efforts, may peace guide your every step.