Friday, September 19, 2008

Taking Over the World


So, here I am, presumptuously starting a blog dedicated to recording my adventures and experiences in hopes that I can share something of interest, connect to my loved ones, and, ultimately, create world peace. Baby steps. I am currently in New York, taking in the sights and sounds and smells of America while I still take them for granted.

Another day closer to this new life that has been gaining momentum with every inquisition and preparation. I keep meaning to write my first blog post (ooooh boy, that makes me giggle), but I have been procrastinating because I feel like it should be saved for the beginning of this voyage. But when is the beginning? Really, this all started a long time ago and is constantly ending and restarting. I also feel a pressure to have some life-changing experience, which sounds intimidating, but when I really think about it, is not such a big deal. You never know what’s going to change your life. I believe this to be true, and because this is my blog, it is my truth. And if you are reading this, it has infiltrated your truth. Muahaha—now I will take over other continents.

But, really, what I’m trying to say is that I’m going away. I wish rhyming always came that easily. Going away to Paraguay, “el corazon de America,” just in time for spring in the southern hemisphere, where toilets flush in the opposite direction (though this is yet to be determined).


For those of you who don’t know, I’m joining the Peace Corps as a “Crop Extensionist,” which means I’ll be kickin’ it old school with small-scale farmers to promote the continuation of their agrarian tradition, while preserving the land for subsequent generations, unlike some other countries (ahem). This is a very exciting time to be there because (1) the first non-authoritarian president was placed into office this year, (2) landless farmers are seeking change to the current system in which <1%>karass. (“one hundred and fourteeeen”). Trusting in the abundance is much easier when I am surrounded by health and happiness. But what about all those people who are disenfranchised and taken advantage of—in our own towns and around the world? Do they not trust enough? Perhaps this trust (in, I presume, God, the Divine, the Great Unknown) is actually a trust in ourselves and each other (because we are God) to share whatever wealth we have, monetary or other.

There are already people and things I miss, and I haven’t even left the country yet. But the longing that is usually described as pain, can be a sort of pleasure because it is a reminder of what I have in my life. I am extremely blessed to have so many inspiring people in my life, a multitude of beautiful places I can call “home,” and a pocket full of juicy thoughts I may dip into while staring at different stars in an opposite season with jaguars in my backyard.

Next stop: Miami (bienvenido ami ami)

5 comments:

Willy said...

bon voyage, em; we look forward to hearing about your adventures.

;)

will

Arianaciel said...

I love you my sweet... surprises await you at each turn. Keep love and light in your heart and I will see you soon.

mamakani said...

well i may not have a jaguar in my backyard, but i do have a jaguarette in my lap and she is wiggly and furry and wants to lick my face as i write this and her green eyes are staring at me intensely as if she knows to whom i write. and, yes, if not obvious already, it is of liberation i write and she and i both wish we were in your pocket as you go forth and liberate others into sustainability!

mamakani said...

i added a comment to your miami blog and i don't see it. i'm just saying so because i want you to know i'm checking up on you! My next comment concerns dragonflies, or at least, dragonfly. Did you know that in guarani the dragonfly is the lovely Tupa kuchuvi veve. Yup. I'm learning too! I'm so glad you're learning to make cheese: yummy. I can't wait to taste the results. i also learned the tribes of the Chaco: Chulupi, Lengua, Sanapana & Toba. So there to you 2~~love mamacita

mamakani said...

P.S. I knew you'd write today! It's October 1st and following a new moon in Libra monday, it's now in scorpio and Rosh hashana was yesterday: so happy new year in a new land; may it be sweet & full of Yamim Noraim, or, "Days of Awe"! xxx