Tuesday, January 27, 2009

All the World´s a Farm...

...The men and women merely farmers, trying to eke out a happy existence by taming our surroundings to meet our needs. I live in a place where chickens are allowed to lay their eggs on the bed--the bed usually reserved for humans. Where, to get to the bathroom, I have to walk between two male turkeys, splaying their tail feathers, vying for the attention of the single, uninterested female. And where the family pig is slaughtered and then feasted upon because it ate a chicken, and that will simply not do. And while the pig intestines (yum) chill in the fridge, I take an old feed sack and walk around collecting cow shit to fertilize my garden. The cows follow me around, thinking that I´m carrying food. Food for the soil!

I got some seeds in the ground in my garden, and I have bruises all over my wrists from some heated volleyball games. Until next time.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, you are becoming quite the writer! I can almost smell the wet dirt, and manure as I read :o)