Thursday, January 8, 2009

Hunting the Elusive Carpincho


And by hunting, I mean simply seeking them out to admire their sedentary ways and pet their brissly fur. Lastnight after playing on the swings and teetertotters with small children after midnight, we went to a nearby park to search for the R.O.U.S. The carpincho is the largest rodent in the world, related to the guinea pig and the chinchilla. They are the sweetest little webbed-footed vegetarians around, and let me sit and pet them for a while.

Now I´m getting some last internet time in before I head back to site on my local bus. My bus driver´s name is Andres, and he lives just down the road from me. Sometimes he takes my bags for me and puts them on the dashboard, so I don´t have to deal with them while I´m trying to keep my balance on the packed bus. Whenever I ride my bus it feels like I´m on a fieldtrip. Everyone knows each other, kids are shuffled from lap to lap, and I drink terere with whomever offers and talk to the Senoras about how hot it is. And it is hot.

No comments: