Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Air Really is Good



After a 19-hour bus ride (I sat on top deck up front with a reclining chair, so it really wasn´t bad), we arrived in Buenos Aires. The city´s name means good air, named for it´s clean, fresh breezes, and that really was the first thing I noticed when we stepped out of the terminal. Buenos Aires makes Asunción look like a trailer park. Besides the fresh air, the streets are clean, there are huge trees, and lots of green spaces. And everyone´s friendly. If I ask someone for directions, I´ll get a whole group of people giving me explanations in a beautiful Italian-sounding accented Spanish.

The first night, we went to see Radiohead, which was amazing. Days are spent wandering around the city, drinking good wine in the park, people-watching, and also visiting the embassy and police station because my friend got his backpack stolen the first day we were here, which contained his passport and credit cards. But that has not stopped us from taking full advantage of our time here, though I´m going to need a vacation from this vacation when I get back to Paraguay.

Lastnight, I went out with my Paraguayan host brothers who work in Buenos Aires. It was nice to speak Guarani in a place where no one else understands it. This morning, I felt very Euro, drinking my café cortado and my medialuna, which translates into half moon and is really a little croissant with a delicious honey glaze.

Tonight, I get back on the bus for Paraguay. It´s been a short trip, but I definately want to come back here. I never got to tango. Apparently, it´s hard to find spontaneous tango dancing in the streets, which is what I had been hoping for. I´ll have to make my own tango.

1 comment:

Willy said...

Hello. I was thinking about you this morning. That trip sounds beautiful. Hope everything is swell.

Will